Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A book with a strong female lead


Skinnydipping is written by Bethenny Frankel.

I want to start by saying I usually only read Christian fiction books but I saw what this book was about and could not wait to read it. The personality of the author, Bethenny Frankel, is found on every page of this story. The book follows the fictional character Faith Brightstone as she navigates through different careers till she finds her perfect fit.

I loved how the character reacted to obstacles in her way. Her phone call with a creditor is one a lot of people will connect with. That is one of the best things about this book, how relatable the main character is! As you follow Faith and her encounters with different people, you can’t help but wonder if these interesting characters are based on real people the author knew!

I really enjoyed the main character being a strong woman with dreams and the gumption to follow through with them. I liked how the character grew as the story progressed. You find her more assure of herself and more open to the people and circumstances she encounters.

I do have a few negatives. The strong language of the character, especially at the beginning of the book, was distracting. I do not think it needed to be there as the story was strong enough to stand on its own without it. I also felt like the story lost its way in the middle but it did quickly come back to an interesting story line. Personally I did not like the sexual content but that is just a personal opinion not something that made the book unworthy of reading. I gave this book 4/5 stars because although the character was interesting and the story flowed well I think it could have had some parts edited out and still been a great book.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the copy of this book I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based on my opinion of what I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment