Sunday, April 8, 2012

This was not what I was expecting...

Almost Amish, One Woman's Quest for a Slower, Simpler, More Sustainable Life is written by Nancy Sleeth and published by Tyndale House Publishers.

This was not the book I was expecting to read. First, the concept, the author is trying to relate ways to simplify your current lifestyle to make it more like the Amish. She writes about different categories in which we can take a step back and simplify what we do or how we live. Second, the problem, this is more of a tree hugging book then a Jesus hugging book. I am not saying the whole book is bad just that I felt it went a bit far into the living for the earth then it did in living for Jesus.

There are some positive ideas in the book about simplifying your lifestyle. Some people may find these ideas helpful and implement them right away. I don’t think the author meant for it to sound preachy but at times it really did feal like she was saying do these things or you are a bad person! I am not saying don’t read this book, just that if you do, make sure you read it with the understanding that this is only one person’s view on ways to simplify your life.

I gave this book 3/5 stars because although the author had some great personal examples, I just did not like all the ideas and manner in which she presented them.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the copy of this book I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based on my opinion of what I read.


No comments:

Post a Comment