Thursday, February 9, 2012

Two reviews of books I have recently read

Love Like God, Embracing Unconditional Love was written by Caroline A. Shearer. The book is filled with lessons on unconditional love. The author has taken the time to gather stories by numerous people and present them in this book.

Some of the writers are authors, some are names you will recognize but most are just average people you would talk to everyday. Each person writes about an incident in their life where they gained an understanding of what unconditional love is. Loving another person the way the Lord loves us is what unconditional love is about.

The author ends each story with a note. This note is her thoughts on the story. She also adds an affirmation to reiterate the principle of unconditional love. One affirmation found on page 138 states "Love is always stronger than my fears."

I found each person view of unconditional love and how it changed their lives very interesting. This book kept my attention and I enjoyed the different viewpoints. The authors’ notes really brought all the different stores together and the book would not have been as good without her notes.

I gave this book 4/5 stars only because some of the writers were hard to understand and their stories did not flow well.


What’s Good About Feeling Bad? A great question and a perfect title for this book written by John C. Thomas and Gary Habermas. You will put this book down with a better understanding of suffering and how the Lord wants us to learn and grow as we walk through each painful situation we encounter.

Helping you understand the purpose of suffering is really the main purpose of this book. Breaking it down into sections the authors describe what the Lord desires for us to learn. Most important we need to learn to trust that He is doing it all for our good.

Everything that is written in the book is helpful. I did think it got rather wordy sometimes. Meaning some of what is written is repeated again and again, not in the same words but still the same principles. Overall a good book for someone who is suffering through a hard experience and wants to better understand why the Lord allows bad things to happen.

I gave this book 4/5 stars.

I would like to thank ChristianReviewofBooks.com and the publishers for the copies of these books I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based on my opinion of what I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment